What’s up everyone! In today’s lesson we will be discussing one of Serato’s mostpopular features, Looping. Looping is a technique that allows the DJ to repeat acertain portion of the record over and over and over again.
Sound familiar? In one of our previous posts, we discussed how to execute thistechnique by using two of the same records. In Serato, we can achieve this sametechnique using one record and the looping feature in the program.
Let’s take a look step by step on how this works.
1. LOOPING: You can set up to 9 different LOOPS on 1 track andyou can Loop as large as the file itself, but you wouldn’t really wantto do that. The purpose of looping is to grab a section of the songand set it so that it continuously plays that portion of the song. It’salmost as if you are extending the song without actually changingthe length of it. Looping is great for intros or outros when you needsome more time to mix, do a live remix or mashup.
2. With your loaded track and Cue Points, move your record/cd tothe “1st Beat” which is a kick drum (RED). A Yellow Cue Point isplaced where this KICK is and the start of the loop.
3.Next, click the IN BUTTON. This will be the start of your loop.Once you hit play, you will see the waveform with a BRIGHTGREEN SELECTION on it. (REVIEW THE NEXT 2 IMAGES)
4. Once you have gotten to the desired length (usually a 4 or 8 barpattern), click the OUT BUTTON to close the LOOP.
5. You have now successfully created a LOOP. You can lock itby clicking the box with the number “1” in it. You will see a REDsquare around it. If you need to start over, Press the X button tocancel out the loop.
6. If you wish to have additional loops, just click the arrow to the rightof the number to go the 2nd Loop Bank.
7. Just follow the same steps as before and there you go.
Now let’s try AUTO LOOPING. It’s very simple and easy to use. The barthat is below the IN and OUT buttons is your LOOPING BAR. The valuesare NOT in BARS but in BEATS. The lowest value is 1.8th and the highestis 32 beats. Below you will see a few examples of using the Auto Loopfeature.
1 BEAT LOOP:
8 BEAT LOOP