The New Opportunities Platform – More Fun, More Exposure, More Opportunity

The new opportunities platform is available in Beta. As we continue to add new features and fix bugs you will continue to have access to the legacy experience. To try out the new platform, visit any opportunity and click the “Check Out The New Design” link at the top of the page.

The New Opportunities Platform

Since 2010 we have listened closely to your feedback and learned what matters to you most as musicians when you participate in an opportunity. As it turns out, musicians on Indaba Music care less about winning the grand prize and more about getting exposure, receiving feedback and having a positive experience with other musicians.

We have been hard at work for months building an entirely new opportunity experience from the ground up. Opportunities now have so much more to offer musicians of all skill levels: a fun and engaging environment on IndabaMusic.com, as well powerful new ways to get your music in front of fans around the world.

Clean & Simple Experience

Whether you’re looking to enter the opportunity, discover some new music or socialize with other musicians, it’s incredibly simple to find what you’re looking for and to get going.

The entire opportunity experience is organized under 3 navigational items:

1. Details: Everything you need to know to participate.
  2. Listen: An easier and more enjoyable way to discover submissions.
  3. Discussion: As always, a place to discuss the opportunity.

Plays, Comments, Votes–Oh My!

When your submission goes viral, we want you to have all the stats on how it is performing, and as people interact with your music we wanted you to be able to see just who is showing you love!

This information will be private, visible only to you, and will be available from a new feature in opportunities called “Your Submission”. Information is power. We think you will love this!

Music Discovery

We set out to build a better way for musicians and music fans to explore and listen to music. Not sure what to listen to? Check out the “Hot Tracks” section to hear what’s trending in the opportunity.

Check out that new audio player! Ain’t she purdy? We improved how you leave and read comments, and what’s particularly cool is how handy voting and sharing is: right there while your fans are listening! Oh, yea, and it works on mobile phones and tablets. HTML5 FTW!

Sharing & Exposure

We partnered with some of the internet’s biggest platforms in order to help get your music in front of fans where they are already hanging out: FacebookYouTube, and Twitter. These three platforms reach billions of people per month and in a short time have already generated tens of millions of fan engagements with opportunity submissions!

Each integration is unique and can be valuable to you in different ways, so, if you are serious about getting exposure you should check out the links above to learn more.

Your submission on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter

This project was a huge undertaking for the entire Indaba Music team and we can’t wait to hear what you think! If you find any bugs, please submit them to us via the feedback tab. And, if you have nice things to say, feel free to do so in the comments below!

Now, go make some music!

Nate Lew
VP, Product

This entry was posted in Community. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to The New Opportunities Platform – More Fun, More Exposure, More Opportunity

1. Timo says:

This is AWESOME!!!

2. greg says:

You guys still don’t get it even with all the new features. It’s still a popularity contest here and has nothing to do with how good the remix is but how many friends you have online! There is no voting system in place here. I won’t waste my time again here until that is established!!! How about 2 songs come up and you pick the best out of the 2. Real simple!

3. Wes Morrison says:

I agree 200%.

4. James says:

> “…musicians on Indaba Music care less about winning the grand prize and more about getting exposure…”
    > I agree 200%.

Totally agree, Wes.

For me, that means being able to promote my remixes on my own channels, not just the few that Indaba offer. Otherwise, it’s just not worth the considerable effort of making a remix. For that reason, I’ve been unable to enter any contests since Indaba removed the Creative Commons clause in May, and so had planned to not renew my subscription when it runs out. To that end, I welcome the simplified “Rights Management” text part of the contest briefs, but at present it isn’t clear to me if the restrictive conditions have been lifted. Perhaps someone from Indaba can clarify? For example, on the new design for the current Passion Pit contest, it says, “You may not sell your submission, nor may you post it on another website if it includes copyrighted material you do not own.” – suggesting that so long as your remix doesn’t contain any illegal samples, you can post it anywhere, just as you could with Indaba contests before May 2012 – hooray! Or is the implication instead that “copyrighted material you don’t own” includes the remix stems? – but then, given that the contest demands the use of at least one remix stem in your submission, it would then be impossible for any submission to meet these requirements. Could someone from Indaba clarify? If the new focus on exposure truly means we can once again legally upload our remixes to our own websites and promotional channels, I will happily renew my subscription when the time comes.

5. Great design! Bravo!!!

But looking at an old contest (Peter Gabriel Games Without Frontiers Remix)
    https://beta.indabamusic.com/opportunities/remix-peter-gabriel/winners and playing my submission, I see very few comments. I remember very well there were much, much more…

The number of plays is also another one and not the original one (> 1500)

So. my submission ‘s clearly linked to another file or database

Anyway, again bravo! I like it!

6. Frank says:

I think the new look and features are fantastic, nice work guys!

However, with the new Facebook (only) voting system in place, unfortunately many regions and millions (if not billions) of people around the world are now unable to participate due to it being blocked. We’re talking the most populated places in the world! I personally work in the US, EU and Asia and while partnering with Facebook, Twitter and Youtube is a good way to spread the word, making it exclusive and with no alternatives really isnt the way forward -1/3 of my fans cant access any of those websites!! I’m sure many other members are now having the same issue and I think its something that Indaba really needs to look at and consider changing.

Also, it would be good to have the ability to delete old contest submissions from not only the personal library, but also profile pages.

7. Nick Furyy says:

The new look adds another dimension to a very dynamic user friendly interface. LOVE IT!

8. Cinovox says:

I love the new look, it really takes indaba forward into the future, and looks great :D ! However the play buttons; to hear someone’s submission under their comment in an opportunity, have gone : Not sure if this is just still being incorporated. Keep up the work indaba :D

9. Nate Lew says:

Hey Cinovox,

We hear your pain! Those play buttons will be back shortly in the discussion section. Don’t worry!

Nate
    VP, Product @ Indaba Music

10. Nate Lew says:

@Andrea – Thank you for the kind words. We love the new design, too! We will look into the issues you are reporting with comments and plays. If you find any other problems, big or small, please submit them via the feedback tab on the page. Thanks!

Nate
    VP, Product @ Indaba Music

11. @Nate: ok, thanks for the suggestions. I will do it!

Cheers,
    andrea

12. Paul Rickert says:

I don’t know if i like the new design as it doesn’t work on any computer I have or use.

13. A.k. says:

Thanks for the updates indaba! Have always wanted a “your votes” section so you can quickly see the ones you’ve liked.

Likewise, would be nice to have a “listen later,” “listened already” and/or “yet to listen to” sections/options :)

I think voting should have a dislike and a like…and that your opinion only counts after 30s of listening…and after you’ve up and down-voted 10 tracks….to stop spam and random clicks

Lastly, it would be interesting to have votes not tallied until the contest ends. Just as in political voting, knowing that your vote could actually put someone above you definitely biases the voting process.

14. Pingback: Indaba Music Wrap Up: 2012 | Indablog