Knowing how to effectively EQ is something that will clean up your mixes tremendously.
Things to remember:
- Always bypass, see how things sound with and without EQ
- Sweep your frequencies, listen for the “sweet spot”
- Don’t over do it! Sometimes subtractive EQ (lowering of frequency levels) can be more effective than additive EQ (boosting of frequencies)
- Hi-Pass filters are great for instant mix clean ups, it’s a good idea to hi-pass every track except the low end tracks like bass and kick.
- And, as always, trust your ear. If it doesn’t sound good to you, it probably doesn’t sound good!
Check back next week for the next lesson!